Saturday 1 February 2014

Playlist: Anna Karenina




(A message to eventual purists in the audience: Try not to cringe too much. The point isn’t to be dignified, deferential or setting-appropriate, but to keep the powerful and complex emotions of the story alive in people’s hearts, 21st-century-style. I like to think that, instead of rolling in his grave, Leo Nikolayevitch would be amused or even flattered.)

Dolly to Stiva
“I’ve been cheated by you since I don’t know when,
so I made up my mind it must come to an end.
Look at me now!
Will I ever learn? I don’t know how,
but I suddenly lose control;
there’s a fire within my soul.
Just one look and I can hear a bell ring.
One more look and I forgive everything, oh … ”
- ABBA, “Mamma Mia”

Kostya to Kitty
A waltz for the chance I should take,
but how will I know where to start?
She's spinning between constellations and dreams,
her rhythm is my beating heart.
So she dances
in and out of the crowd like a glance.
This romance is
from afar, calling me silently … ”
- Josh Groban, “So She Dances”

Vronsky to Anna
“Beauty queen of only eighteen,
she had some trouble with herself.
He was always there to help her,
she always belonged to someone else.
I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door.
I’ve had you so many times, but somehow I want more …
- Maroon 5, “She Will Be Loved”

Anna’s Dilemna
”I feel it in the air as I'm doing my hair,
preparing for another date.
A kiss upon my cheek as he reluctantly
asks if I'm gonna be out late.
I say I won't be long, just hanging with the girls;
a lie I didn't have to tell.
Because we both know where I'm about to go
and we know it very well …”
- Rihanna, “Unfaithful”

Jealousy (Kitty, Dolly & Lydia)
Who's that girl? Where's she from?
No, she can't be the one
that you want; that has stolen my world.
It's not real – it's not right –
it's my day – it's my night!
By the way,
who's that girl living my life?”
- Hilary Duff, “Who’s That Girl?”

Anna to Karenin
“Lie to me, betray me,
scream out loud, only don’t be silent.
Chart a course for me,
give me something, anything to feel.
How far have you already gone?
I see you struggle with every word.
Your heart beats without a sound.
You are silencing our love to death.”
- Ina Müller, “Du Schweigst” (“You Are Silent”)

Karenin to Anna
“Oh, how come I deserve to be
the fool that he makes out of me?
At least you could have given me a clue!
You could have had a one-night fling,
and in time I'd forget evyerthing,
but I've got no chance.
I'm left no time to understand.
If you could see you've hurried love … ”
- Herbert Grönemeyer, “What’s All This?”

Kitty to Kostya
”So this is me swallowing my pride,
standing in front of you, saying, "I'm sorry for that night
and I go back to December all the time.”
It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you,
wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine.
I'd go back to December, turn around and make it all right.”
- Taylor Swift, “Back to December”

Seryozha
”It ain't easy growing up in World War III,
never knowing what love could be, well I've seen.
I don't want love to destroy me like it has done my family.
Can we work it out? Can we be a family?
I promise I'll be better, Mommy, I'll do anything … ”
- P!nk, “Family Portrait”

Kostya and Kitty’s Marriage
“You are golden,
precious as a prayer flying up through the air
while the rain is falling.
Golden, timeless as a kiss; baby, I don’t want to miss
another perfect moment.”
- Lady Antebellum, “Golden”

Kostya to Nikolai
“Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend
somewhere among all the bitterness.
And I could have stayed up with you all night
had I known how to save a life.”
- The Fray, “How To Save A Life”

Anna’s Suicide  
“Through the crowd, I was crying out
and in your place there were a thousand other faces.
I was disappearing in plain sight.
Heaven help me, I need to make it right.

No light, no light in your bright blue eyes.
I never knew daylight could be so violent.
A revelation in the light of day:
you can't choose what stays and what fades away.”
- Florence + The Machine, “No Light, No Light”

Karenin and Vronsky in Mourning
“ … and when I say that I don't care,
it really means my engine's breaking down.
The chisel chips my heart again;
the granite cracks beneath my skin;
I crumble into pieces on the ground.”
- Elton John, “This Train Don’t Stop There Anymore”

Levin Family/Karenin to Annie
“For one so small, you seem so strong.
My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm.
This bond between us can’t be broken.
I will be here, don’t you cry … ”
- Phil Collins, “You’ll Be In My Heart”

Kostya’s Epiphany
”Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found;
was blind, but now I see.
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
and grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed.”
- traditional, “Amazing Grace”

No comments:

Post a Comment